- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup coursely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 14 ounces caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 350°
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13" glass baking pan. Optional: line the pan with parchment – placing the overhang over both of the long sides. To keep the parchment in place, use four small binder clips: two on each of the long sides.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs then add the brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla. Mix well. Add the nuts. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined.
- Reserve a cup of the batter and spread the remaining batter into the prepared pan. Baked in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Place the caramels and the milk in a glass bowl and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until the caramels are completely melted. Stir after every minute. Cool for 5 minutes. After removing the baked layer from the oven, spread the caramel mixture within ½" of the edges.
- Drop the reserved batter by spoonfuls over the top and cut through the batter with a knife for a marbled effect.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the center is set. Cool completely in the pan. Removed from the pan and cut into bars.